Warning Signs of Gambling Addiction
For most people, gambling and playing casino games online is a good way to relax, unwind and possibly win some money in the process. Modern casino and slot games have evolved to the point where gambling has become as entertaining as it is rewarding. While almost every online casino offers free casino games, the real excitement comes in when playing for real money. For most people, knowing when to stop is easy.
Setting aside some cash for casino games is one thing, but to involve other aspects of your life is another thing altogether. Making irrational decisions may be a strong sign of gambling addiction. In the notes below we are going to explore the common signs and behaviours associated with gambling addiction.
When it comes to gambling and playing casino games, there is a fine line between having fun and going just a little too far. Certain behaviour might be a sign of gambling addiction. The following behaviour could be a cause for concern:
- Avoiding obligations at work and at home in order to free up some gambling time
- Denying suspicious actions that may seem obvious to others
- Neglecting day to day expenses and bills in order to save money to gamble
- Selling personal items in order to have more money to gamble online
- Being abnormally preoccupied with gambling and playing casino games
- Stealing money from friends and family to gamble
- Avoiding friends or family who notice suspicious behaviour
- Loss of car, job, partner or house because of gambling debt
Signs That You Might Have a Problem
If you or your family member exhibits any of the above behaviour, it could be a sign of gambling addiction. However, in most cases gambling addiction is not that easy to diagnose. In most cases, people don’t really know they have a problem until it is too late. If you notice any of the following signs in your own life, it may be time to take action:
- Hiding the fact that you gamble online from friends and family
- You want to stop playing, but you always seem to go back
- You feel compelled to play until your account is empty
- You spend more than you really should on casino games
- You sometimes feel out of control but want to keep on playing
What Can You Do
Any of the above may be a sign of gambling addiction. The good news is that almost every online casino knows that gambling can be a real problem for people. As such many establishments are committed to responsible gambling and have put certain self-governing protocols that can help. The following gambling protocols can be implemented at any online casino.
- Set daily limits – Having a daily limit stops you from spending more than you should.
- Set weekly and monthly limits – This gives players the opportunity to spend only what they budget.
- Set deposit limits- If you cannot top-up your account, you cannot gamble for real money
- Self-exclusion – A big sign of gambling addiction is the inability to stop. If all else fails, players can ask the casino to set an exclusion limit where players simply cannot use the casino facilities for a certain period of time.